Friday, July 17, 2009

Night Again

After enjoying the fact that it was no longer raining, the five of us set out again, but seemed to make slower progress. We were slowed by a string of flat tires from Justin, (four total, an impressively unlucky amount.) Quickly, the sun dropped and we put our lights back on. Riding towards Burlington, we could see lightning flashing in the clouds in front of us, illuminating them with a bright orange glow. We were all splitting up again, with Matt falling off the back and Justin charging ahead, despite his frequent stops to change flat tires. When Justin flatted, Jim, Cam and I would stop to wait/ help him out. Matt, being pretty far behind us, would eventually catch up, and just keep on going, not wanting to slow us down any. As we got moving again we would close in on him, and eventually pass him. Despite our offering to stay with him, Matt insisted that we go ahead, he was intent on not slowing us down.

During Justin's flat change #3, Matt caught up to us, and I jumped on with him, not being able to stand just waiting for the others while I could be making progress, however slow. Talking with Matt, I realized that he was in rough shape, but still determined to make it. Quickly enough the other three caught up to us, and Matt was once again dropped. Cam and I rode together about 30 feet in front of Jim and Justin, discussing how late it was, and how we needed to keep making progress. We were at mile 285, and it was 10 pm, getting dangerously late. Then I heard the familiar cry of "flat!" behind us. Not wanting to stop, Cam and I pressed on, knowing that Justin and Jim could handle fixing the blown tube.

Cam and I pushed on, meeting up with the support cars and letting them know about the flat situation behind us. Sleep deprived and wanting to get there as quick as possible, Matt Cote was almost as disheartened as we were. Soon, signs for Burlington began to pop up. Cam and I marveled at how far we had come. I was only able to look at my computer when we passed under street lights, but I could still see it creeping up through the 290’s. Finally, at a stoplight just outside of Burlington, I saw 300, the magic number. I took my hands off my bars in a tired celebration, and laughed. It seemed impossible that I had ridden that distance, that I had come that far. I had made it 300 miles.

Then, it finally happened. With my psychological goal out of the way, I bonked. I simply had no motivation, no drive. I found that I could barely turn the pedals over. Cam slipped ahead of me as I labored through the streets scanning the signs at the side of the road for our hotel. I thought we must have passed it. I imagined riding on for miles and miles, unable to find the endpoint of our trip. I was so disheartened. Then, from behind me, I heard a friendly honk. It was Marliesse, and she zoomed past me, then slowed. “She must be telling me I overshot the hotel, I’m at 302 miles.” I thought. I considered my options. Should I turn around and find the hotel? Just get in the car? I was so exhausted I thought I might just let myself be driven back, even if it felt like cheating. Then I saw the sign above the parking lot where Marliesse had pulled in. It was our hotel. I rolled into the parking lot at 11:04 pm, about 20 seconds behind Cam. We shared a high five and congratulated each other, but were too tired for much more. I stumbled into my room and found that I almost didn’t have enough strength to lower myself onto the toilet seat. I took a quick shower, and ate half a bag of chips before I heard the other three arrive. There were more congratulations, then I lowered myself into bed, my entire body one huge ache. I was still stunned by the feat that we had accomplished, but was too tired to fully grasp it. I was just grateful to be in a warm bed and NOT on a bike seat. As I fell asleep I heard rain pouring into the pool outside my window, and thanked god that I wasn’t still outside. I don’t think I have ever fallen so deeply asleep so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment